Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hockey and Blessings(Tyler Kennedy) Chapter 2

At home and on road trips we were inseparable. He was the only guy coach had we room with and when we did we had a ton of fun. Occasionally he helped me with me with my homework since he had graduated the year before. The whole team thought we were dating but we were just best friends. We did everything best friends do. We bought each other actual Christmas gifts instead of gag gifts like the rest of the team. While the team still tried to hit on me, no one dared try to talk me in the locker room. Ty had marked that territory as untouchable. We spent weekends and days off at the movies or the mall, hanging out like normal teenagers. As the playoffs approached Ty became more focused because of the NHL scouts at every game. With this distraction we hung out less and less. I can’t say I really noticed considering I was worried sick waiting for my college letters to return. I had applied to schools all over the country hoping to catch the interest of an NHL team and possibly a better internship. We talked briefly on road trips but it wasn’t the same and everyone noticed.

With the end of the season and the knowledge that we’d never see each other again we went back to my place to pack my stuff and say our goodbyes. That day it seemed like things were normal again. I was putting my clothes in boxes when he hit me from behind with a pillow. As I ducked his throws I tried to sneak closer in order to tickle him. When I succeeded I laughed. He grabbed me and we fell on the bed tickling each other. When we were both exhausted we realized the position we were in. He had me pinned under him and my arms at my head. He leaned down and kissed me. I pulled him closer and things progressed further than I should have ever let them. When I woke up the next morning he was gone, no note, no nothing. It was both the best and worst goodbye I had ever gotten.

No comments: